20 December 2010

Vacation Training

I'm currently on vacation in Namibia.  Yes, it is summer. Yes, it is freaking hot. 

While this 2 week break will serve as `n little break from running as well before going at it hard in January, I'm planning on doing some training sessions.  The training sessions will be with a specific goal in mind.  In 2011 I would like to compete in some multi day races taking place at altitude and extreme heat. 

Windhoek is sitting pretty at 1650m.  This is a great opportunity to see how my body react at the higher altitude.  For a coastal dweller like me this is quite a jump. 

The temperature in Windhoek is daily above 33 degrees and very dry.  So my second goal will be to see how I fair in this kind of climate.



Next stop will Swakopmund, back at the coast. There will be a lot more oxygen, yeah! But there will be a lot more sand.  The coast of Namibia is home to some of the highest dunes in the world.  Here I will test my skills and strength on the dunes.  Giving me an idea of what to expect in races like the Kalahari Augrabies Extreme and Marathon des Sables.

No comments:

Post a Comment