21 January 2011

Things Are A Changing

It was one of those windy hot summer Sundays in The Friendly City and I decided to test out the new trail just outside town.  Struggling with a bit of a tight hamstring it was a nice surprise to find out the 20km trail is as flat as a pancake.  I don't think you can even run 20km in the city as flat as this.

A few kays in and my heart rate was much higher than what it was suppose to be, but anything slower and I will run backwards.  I finished one loop and continued on to make up 28km's.  But those last 8km's were at a much lower heart rate than before. Awesome! Last time this happened to me was during the Addo 50miler in 2010. After a certain distance your heart rate just drops a couple of beats and you actually have to work quite a bit to get it higher.  This is the sign of a well trained heart (good boy!) when your body suddenly realizes whats going on and kind of just starts to relax.

The strange thing is that since Sunday my heart rate has been lower during all my training sessions, from the start. And this during a week where the humidity was extremely high.

So with 49 days and 19 hours to go til the start of the Addo all seems good in running land!

No comments:

Post a Comment