29 August 2010

Weekly Summary 23-29Aug

23 August 2010

Easy run, gearing up for the week!

Movescount 23.8.2010


24 August 2010

Port Elizabeth is a little vertically challenged.  Sure there are a lot of ups and downs and little hills, but nothing substantial.  This leaves me with the great pleasure of entering the city center.  The only place in PE where there are loads of long hills.  My uncle says that when the city center was still the business hub of PE all the girls had the most beautiful sculpted calves in South Africa.

So I ventured out early and had the opportunity of dodging taxis in the dark while negotiating the hills!

Movescount 24.8.2010

25 August 2010

It's been three weeks since my last time trial on the trails and so far my performance has not been satisfactory.  This all changed today.  Although my legs still felt heavy from yesterday and I felt really clumsy over the uneven terrain I was able to knock off 1 minute from my time over the 8km.  Still not nearly as fast as my road TT's, but it shows a huge improvement in performance.

Running on single track fast with branches sweeping by and grass against your ankles is surely one of the best experiences you can get. You just feel free!

Movescount 25.8.2010

26 August 2010

A easy run up to the nearest "koppie" and back.  Found a nice long steady hill to do repeats on for the up and coming 3 Peaks Challenge.

Movescount 26.8.2010


28 August 2010

Headed out to Groendal Nature Reserve.  What a pleasure! Varied terrain from ravine running to running on ridges and bushwackinig through driver river beds. Excellent technical trails.

Movescount 28.8.2010


I attended a very inspirational talk on Friday presented by Braam Malherbe.  He is one of only two people ever to run the entire length of the Great Wall of China.  It took them 98 days to complete the 4000km+ adventure.  All in the name of charity.  This has inspired me to put my gift of running to good use and support a charity.  More on this in the upcoming weeks.  I'll end of with this quote that Braam used from Spiderman "With great power, comes great responsibility".

No comments:

Post a Comment