13 October 2010

Some Random Gear Comments

Two weeks ago I had some serious issues with my gear on a run of 45km.  Not awesome.  I was rather disgusted about this after spending quite a lot of money.  But, being an engineer and having "The Nack", I sorted out most of my problems last week.  But let's start at the beginning.

I bought the Salomon XT Wings 5 backpack some time ago.  Main reason was to make use of bottles.  In the longer races it's quicker to refill bottles than a bladder.  This pack comes with space for a 2lt bladder and 2x600ml bottles.  And of course the Salomon custom system where you can hook up a variety of flasks, bottles and pouches.

This pack is great as it sits tightly against your back and the position of the water bottles keeps the weight over your hips.  It gives it a snug feel and barely notice your running with it. 

After a couple of weeks running with it I decided to get the Custom Bottle Holder and Custom Flask Holder.  I filled the flask with Hammer Perpeteum made into a paste.  With the bottle on one shoulder strap and the flask on the other I was off for my 45k run.  This was when I experienced my first problem.  The bottle has a strap on a vertical slider that connects over your chest to the bottle on the other shoulder strap and pulls the two together.  That is if you have two bottles.  So my bottle was just flopping around and bruising my chest. This was not gonna be fun for 45km.  Later when I started drinking my Hammer it was a real "sukkel" to get the paste out.  The hole on top was so small that the paste didn't want to flow freely.  Usually I use the Hammer Flask and is able to get a good mouthful with every squeeze.  Now it took me 3 times longer to get less.

The solution?  For the bottle you can remove the one part of the strap and slide it onto the opposite shoulder's vertical slider.  Now you can pull the bottle tight over your chest and no more flopping around. 
Remove strap and slide onto shoulder strap
 I tested this out last weekend and works like a dream.  I'm still in a pickle about the small hole for the flask.  Any ideas?

It's a squeeze to get nutrition out of the flask
 O yes, my second Nalgene hydration bladder also started to leak.  I'm not impressed.  It's probably time to spend the money on a proper Camelbak bladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment